I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD - EMAIL: CHRISTAYLOR2003@COMCAST.NET

Monday, September 20, 2004

Memorable Moments In Bush History

This is an excerpt from George Bush's now-infamous 1999 interview with Tucker Carlson for Talk Magazine.

In the week before [Karla Faye Tucker's] execution, Bush says, Bianca Jagger and a number of other protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask.

Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with [Tucker], though. He asked her real difficult questions, like 'What would you say to Governor Bush?' "

"What was her answer?" I wonder.

"Please," Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "don't kill me."

As Bush sees the look of shock wash over Carlson's face he "immediately stops smirking" and adds, "It's tough stuff, but my job is to enforce the law."

Question -- shouldn't reading the above make Bush supporting, so-called Christians blush red with shame? After all, Christ was explicitly against the death penalty; and while I know that Bush doesn't kill babies, find me the verses -- sans caveats -- where Jesus takes as clear of a stand against abortion.

|