I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I AM UP TO NO GOOD - EMAIL: CHRISTAYLOR2003@COMCAST.NET

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Linda Cropp = Brilliant!


"I'm not trying to kill the deal," Council chairperson Linda Cropp said before cackling and disappearing amid a cloud of thick smoke.

"Baseball operations will proceed, but its business and promotional activities will cease until further notice," Major League Baseball chief operating officer Bob DuPuy stated.

Major League Baseball made the announcement Wednesday, less than 24 hours after the District of Columbia Council voted 7-6 to provide only half the funding needed to construct a new ball park for the Nationals, formerly the Montreal Expos.

The amendment was not part of the relocation agreement that Washington Mayor Anthony A. Williams negotiated with Major League Baseball, which committed to relocating the Expos in time for the 2005 season if council approved complete funding for a ball park and temporary renovations to RFK Stadium by Dec. 31.

"The legislation is inconsistent with our carefully-negotiated agreement and is wholly unacceptable," DuPuy said.

Asked if Tuesday's vote could prove to be a deal-breaker, Williams responded: "Yes, I think baseball is now in jeopardy."

"We had a deal," he continued. "I believe the deal was broken and the dream of 33 years is now once again close to dying."

"I am not trying to kill the deal," claimed Council chairperson Linda Cropp, who proposed the private-financing amendment.

"I'm putting some teeth in it because I'm really disappointed with what I got from Major League Baseball."

|